Saturday, March 28, 2015

Indivisible Under God






 
 
 
A friend recently mentioned she doesn't understand why I am religiously still a Mormon. She knows I don't fit into the straight-laced, ultra-conservative Mormon stereotypes that she thinks of when she considers what a Mormon is.

I thought about it and replied that because of my brother, I have a different perspective on religion. She accepted that and we went back to discussing more interesting topics, like what we were eating for lunch. Of course, like all deep questions in life, there is more than a one sentence answer to the topic. As I considered the question of why I am a Mormon more deeply, I came up with a few more answers.

I think I am still (because lots of people are raised in a religion and chose to leave the faith of their childhood when they are adults) a Mormon because I have found my people there. Let's face it, Mormons are not main-stream Christians. Although we profess to worship Christ, lots and lots of other religions argue we aren't Christian because we do things a bit differently. I don't care. It doesn't bother me to stand with a group of people that others consider odd. I've never had the luxury of fitting in with the norm, so I am fine with being thought of as different. Maybe if I had an ideal childhood with a perfect family I would have more trouble with being Mormon, but I didn't, so there you go.

Since Rex and I were introduced to a full menu of religions as children in foster care, I appreciate the variety of religiousness that colors our world. I don't get hung up on which way of worship that God prefers. I think God likes them all, otherwise he would have tattooed his will on our bottoms to begin with.

 I do believe in God. I have dear friends that don't and I understand that too. It is hard to believe in something that you can't touch or see with your own eyes. I think of it like New York City. I know NYC exists because millions of people live there. I've seen pictures of it and read lots of words written about it. I believe people when they tell me about it, although I've never seen it myself. I haven't walked the streets, smelled the air or touched the ground. I am fine with believing that New York City exists based on the testimonies of others who have experienced it first hand. Same with God. I haven't seen angels or talked to God face to face, but I believe my brother Rex did. I believe that what Rex testified of, that God exists and is aware of us, is true. I have no reason to doubt my brother's  knowledge because I experienced the results of his belief. I believe in judging things by the fruits of their work and Rex's understanding of  God was sweet, wonderful and life changing.

Rather than focusing my limited energy on which religion is true, right and proper to the exclusion of all others, I prefer taking the inclusive road. I acknowledge all belief systems that help people survive this troubled world and promote peace, charity and love, are good. I respect our right to chose for ourselves what to worship. Some worship money or physical attributes. Others worship pleasure or recreation. I worship easing suffering, lifting burdens and not adding more grief to an already messed up world.
I think that we are created by God and that we will return to God when our time on earth is over. I think that we are indivisible from God because we carry his spark of creation within ourselves. Just as my love for my family keeps me connected to them, I am also connected to you by virtue of our shared human experience. We are family, indivisible under God.









No comments: